commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POOL] Offer of help for a 1.4 release
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:52:13 GMT
On Dec 2, 2007 12:15 PM,  <kutzi@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to offer some help, too.

Thanks in advance!

> I cannot promise that I can do some actual development work on it, but I
> would like to add some comments about some drawbacks (IMHO) in pool 1.3.
> Mainly:
>
> - changing GenericObjectPool from LIFO to FIFO strategy from 1.2 to 1.3
> I think that a FIFO strategy is suboptimal for database connection
> pools. I'd have at least liked an optional parameter to choose between
> LIFO and FIFO

That has been implemented in svn trunk (behavior is configurable and
defaults to LIFO like 1.2 did).  See the the comments and "Subversion
Commits" under http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/POOL-86.  Let me
know if you need help checking out the code.

> - fully synchronized borrowObject() and returnObject() methods. I've
> seen this to be a serious bottleneck when the database is under high
> load and another connection needs to be created.

Agreed.  Ideas on how to improve this without creating threadsafety
issues would be appreciated.

Phil