commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POOL] Offer of help for a 1.4 release
Date Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:44:05 GMT
On Dec 2, 2007 11:09 AM, Mark Thomas <markt@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Tomcat has been bitten [1] by a bug [2] in pool-1.3. Currently we are
> considering reverting to pool-1.2 but would obviously prefer to move to
> pool-1.4 (that included a fix for [2]) due to the many fixes in 1.3.
>
> A quick scan of the archives suggests that an offer of an extra pair of
> hands might help speed up a pool-1.4 release in the near term. So, here I am.

Thanks!  This is exactly what is needed.  Some issues have been
resolved since 1.3, but more review is needed to validate the changes
(e.g. fixes for POOL-86).  Other than this, the key issues that we
need to address are POOL-97 (the one that you refer to below) and the
over-synchronization of borrowObject (POOL-108, POOL-93), which was
introduced in 1.3.  I have been contemplating reverting to the 1.2
synchronization setup.  This is an area where more eyeballs / ideas
would be very helpful.  The LIFO/FIFO issue mentioned below (POOL-86)
has been addressed in trunk.  I will do the RM work if we can get at
least POOL-97 closed (any ideas you have on this would be greatly
appreciated) and the fixes for POOL-86 reviewed.  I think it would
really be best to resolve the over-synch issues as well if we can do
it quickly.  I will post a separate note on what I have in mind there.

Thanks!

Phil