commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: [logging] change groupId (Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release commons-logging 1.1.1 (take 4))
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
---- Joerg Hohwiller <joerg@j-hohwiller.de> schrieb:
> Could you please change the groupId to "org.apache.commons.logging".
> It is an ugly legacy problem that many projects are still ignoring the maven
> conventions.
>
> Here are the good boys that have already been convinced:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/commons/
>
> Please consider this for the next release.

It is very unlikely that there will ever be another release. I think that commons logging
does everything that it needs to do now. And hacking on it is so difficult [1] that unless
something very serious comes up it is unlikely that anyone will want to.

But if there ever is one, then yes it would be nice to update the maven url. It wasn't done
for this release because we had enough headaches getting it out without adding another one.

[1] partly because the code is complex, and partly because all the classloader-related issues
and container-related issues are just so tricky that it is almost impossible to be sure that
a change will not break someone's code somewhere.

Regards,

Simon