commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r602666 - in /commons/proper/commons-skin/trunk/src/main/resources: LICENSE.txt NOTICE.txt
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:38:14 GMT
On Dec 14, 2007 12:19 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/12/2007, Simon Kitching <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
> > ---- Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> schrieb:

> > > Yes it does mean that - the LICENSE file comes from an apache jar and
> > > the notice files gets generated from bits in the pom (organization,
> > > inception year and dependencies's poms).
> > >

> I think the N&L files should be in SVN as mentioned by Hen.
>
> The strategy should probably be discussed on the legal-discuss list.

> > > No see above.
> > >
> > > Also - more discussion on this here:
> > >
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-21
> >
> > I'm not sure this works right for NOTICE files.
> >
> > For example, commons-logging might include some code written by a third party but
licensed under an APL2.0-compatible license (including BSD, etc). In that case AIUI we remove
copyright and license information from the files [1], and put it into NOTICE instead. This
keeps the code uncluttered, while putting the contributor info for the project ancestry into
one easy-to-find place (NOTICE.txt).

> Likewise for 3rd party jars, the license needs to be added to the NOTICE file.
> [If there are a few of these, one can use separate LICENSE files and
> refer to them from the NOTICE file]
>
> > So it is not just a matter of taking the organisation property from the pom; a single
mvn module can have multiple entries in its NOTICE file.

> > Getting the LICENSE file from a central point is ok, as we can never "borrow" code
as described above unless we are legally allowed to redistribute under the APL2, so only the
APL2 is ever needed as a LICENSE.

> I agree with Hen - it should be in SVN, unless legal say otherwise.

I just added an example of a generated NOTICE file to COMMONSSITE-21.
Could people please take a look at it before commenting, because its
clear there is a lack of knowledge of what the remote resources plugin
does.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-21

Thanks

Niall