commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r602666 - in /commons/proper/commons-skin/trunk/src/main/resources: LICENSE.txt NOTICE.txt
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:30:32 GMT
On Dec 14, 2007 12:04 PM, Simon Kitching <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
> ---- Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> schrieb:
> > On Dec 14, 2007 6:35 AM, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Seems like a bad idea to me, but I might not be understanding it correctly.
> > >
> > > 1) Does this mean the LICENSE and NOTICE file are not sitting in svn
> > > next to the source?
> >
> > Yes it does mean that - the LICENSE file comes from an apache jar and
> > the notice files gets generated from bits in the pom (organization,
> > inception year and dependencies's poms).
> >
> > > 2) Does this mean each component is sharing a NOTICE file?
> >
> > No see above.
> >
> > Also - more discussion on this here:
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-21
>
> I'm not sure this works right for NOTICE files.
>
> For example, commons-logging might include some code written by a third party but licensed
under an APL2.0-compatible license (including BSD, etc). In that case AIUI we remove copyright
and license information from the files [1], and put it into NOTICE instead. This keeps the
code uncluttered, while putting the contributor info for the project ancestry into one easy-to-find
place (NOTICE.txt).

> So it is not just a matter of taking the organisation property from the pom; a single
mvn module can have multiple entries in its NOTICE file.

Yes thats generated from the dependencies's poms as I said above
although there are issues - but as I said to Hen theres been
discussion on this in the following Jira issue ticket...

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COMMONSSITE-21

Would be great if people could read/comment there rather than having
to repeat everything here.

Niall

> Getting the LICENSE file from a central point is ok, as we can never "borrow" code as
described above unless we are legally allowed to redistribute under the APL2, so only the
APL2 is ever needed as a LICENSE.