commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject [configuration] JDK compatibility
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:16:27 GMT
(There was a similar discussion about commons lang recently.)

Configuration used to support JDK 1.3. For the next release (either 1.6
or 2.0) I would like to drop this compatibility. The number of feature
requests that require a newer JDK version is increasing.

This raises a couple of questions:
- To which JDK version should we switch? 1.4 or immediately to 1.5?
- Should creating a compatibility branch be considered? (I doubt that
there is enough energy and motivation for maintaining multiple branches.)
- Does a switch in the JDK version require a major release?
- Is a new package name required (at least for a major release if there
are binary incompatible changes)?

Any thoughts?

Oliver