commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] m2 release process
Date Fri, 07 Dec 2007 23:32:37 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2007 9:01 PM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> For logging I followed the current release procedure [1], which worked
>> well. Sections 11 and 12 need to be merged somehow. As I'm not familiar
>> with releases back in the Jakarta days, I'm not quite sure how to
>> though. Other than that, it was obvious what to when the docs talk about
>> Maven 1 specifics. But that's probably just me, because I'm used to
>> doing releases with Maven 2 over in maven land. So this needs to be
>> written down.
>>
>> For releases support artifacts that reside only in the Central repo
>> (parent poms, skin) I have simply done:
>> - vote based on svn revisions
>> - mvn release:prepare
>> - mvn -Prelease release:perform
>
> OK I found this http://tinyurl.com/2h222s and was following that. "mvn
> release:prepare -Prc" works fine but the first time i did "mvn
> release:perform -Prc" (fogetting -Darguments="-Prc") and I couldn't
> find where it went and from the logs it looked like it uploaded it to
> "dummy" - so I undid the prepare and tried again with:
>
>    mvn release:perform -Prc -Darguments="-Prc"
>
> This time it threw a NullPointerException in the SurefirePlugin(line 594)
>
> So can I do "mvn -Prelease release:perform" without having to revert
> the version 2 tag? If so how?

We seriously need to remove the "dummy" repo setting from the parent
pom. It does nothing but cause grief.

If we remove it, calling 'mvn release:perform will copy the artifacts to
the snapshot repo if the version is a SNAPSHOT, and to the
central-sync-repo if it's a "real" version. We have to trust ourselves
to call the right commands, not having to remember which non-standard
command-line switch to add. Just use Maven the way it is.

> Niall
>
>> I'd be happy to help write some more docs for this. We can borrow some
>> parts from Maven's own release processes, the old [2] and the new [3].
>> How do we want to structure the docs?
>>
>> 1. One document that includes all releases, whether it's Ant, Maven 1 or
>> Maven 2
>> 2. Separate documents depending on which tool is used to do the release
>> 3. Something else...
>>

>> [1] http://commons.apache.org/releases/release.html
>> [2] http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/pmc-release-process.html
>> [3] http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/releasing.html
>>

>> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>> I haven't done an m2 release before - do we have it documented
>>> anywhere or can someone give me some pointers on what commands and
>>> options I need to use?
>>>
>>> tia
>>>
>>> Niall
>>>
>>> P.S. This is for commons-skin