commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] Commons SCXML 0.7 RC2 available
Date Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:53:18 GMT
On 14/12/2007, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks again, I've never received much feedback on the site, so thats
> quite useful. Replies below ...

> > A few files still refer to jakarta for stuff that has moved to commons TLP:
> >
> > build.properties.sample
> > doap_scxml.rdf
> > faq.fml
> > scxml-documents.xml
> > testing-standalone.xml
> > scxml-stopwatch.xml
> >
> <snip/>
>
> Will fix (TODO #1).
>

> > > Staged site:
> > >
> > >  http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/scxml-0.7/rc2/site/
> >
> > It's quite difficult to find the download link.
> <snap/>
>
> Yup, requires scrolling to get to the "Releases" section. Will add a
> more prominent pointer (TODO #2).

I suggest relegating Snapshots to project info.

There was a discussion about this for JMeter a while back, and the
consensus was that snapshots were for developers only, and should only
be published on developer pages (along with warnings about the lack of
guarantees etc). Having the snapshot link in the main navigation makes
it too prominent, IMO.

The Snapshots link could be replaced with Downloads.

> > There does not seem to be a Wiki link.
> <snip/>
>
> There is one on the index page, but again, not prominent (tempted to
> leave it at that):
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~rahul/commons/scxml-0.7/rc2/site/#Documentation

I'd prefer to see it in the LHS, given that the Commons one is there
already, but no big deal.

> > It would be useful if these were in the top part of the left-hand panel.
> >
> > The left-hand panel seems to have some duplication, e.g.
> > Dependencies, Mailing Lists, Team, SVN Repository which are also under
> > Project Info. I'd suggest dropping the former.
> >
> <snap/>
>
> This is based on user feedback that those links (particularly
> dependencies and SVN pointers IIRC) are hard to find (not all users
> are familiar with Maven site layout, the Project Info bit etc.). ISTR
> there was a specific suggestion to pull them up one level.

OK, but could probably drop Team from the LHS, as well as Snapshots - see above.

> > "Dependencies" notes that xalan is needed for Java 1.5 - what about 1.6?
> > Should that be Java 1.5+?
> >
> <snip/>
>
> I think so (TODO #3).
>

> > > Notes:
> > >  * m1 release, JDK 1.4 minimum
> >
> > Could not find Java requirement anywhere on the site.
> >
> > Could it be added as a dependency in maven.xml/pom.xml, or would that
> > break Maven?
> >
> <snap/>
>
> No it wouldn't break Maven.

So it would not try to download Java if a <dependency> was added?

That would be an easy way to update the dependencies section.
Otherwise I assume it would mean enhancing the Maven dependencies
generator (plug-in?)

> The m1 build (primary build) has the
> details specified in project.properties (see file at tag root):
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/scxml/tags/SCXML_0_7_RC2/
>
> We also have the X-Compile-{Source,Target}-JDK headers in the jar
> manifest (though I don't expect people to know that unless they look).
> Don't think we actually list JDK requirements more explicitly then
> that, perhaps we should.

Definitely - it's particularly important for Commons.