commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [configuration] JDK compatibility
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:14:39 GMT

On 13.12.2007, at 14:38, Michiel Kalkman wrote:

> +1/-1
>
> I am all for using jdk 1.5, but I guess it will take some time before
> I can use this jdk at work. Is it possible and easy to generate an 1.4
> compatible binary version from 1.5 sources ? If so, I'd say go for it.

This comes up all the time. Frankly speaking IMO this is a moo point.
No one forces people to upgrade to a new version. Fact is though if
you want the newer features you might have to bite the bullet and
either upgrade your system or backport changes. The old stable
version is just in maintenance mode and will not go away. But I am
quite tired of having this backwards compatibility reasons making
life at commons so much harder. Time moves on so should we. Of course
it would be nice to provide binaries via retrotranslator ...if
possible. But I think we need to move forward on this.

> Just some additional thoughts (maybe they should be in another
> thread):
> - when considering package names, maybe it is an idea to work towards
> a plugin-alike structuring. It might be interesting if future
> development of some configuration format (INI,JNDI,etc) could be
> independent from, say, core components.

Not sure what you mean here.

> - I think some prototype ui components (swing,jsp,etc.) might be a
> useful future addition, if only as a starting point for developing
> really useable ui components (and probably also as a teaser for new
> users), so you might want to consider that when considering package
> names as well.

You mean as new projects? ...I think that's for some other thread :)

cheers
--
Torsten