commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: (COLLECTIONS-245) Genericise CollectionUtils / COLLECTIONS-275 and Jira Permissions
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:09:24 GMT
On Nov 8, 2007 12:16 PM, Stephen Kestle <stephen.kestle@orionhealth.com> wrote:
> And in it goes!  Just got my current work building and a few tricky
> generics problems sorted out.
> I would love reviews / comments etc; I haven't had the time to proof it
> as much as I would like.
>
> Also, I've decided to be a bit more sandboxy about the generics branch.
> I'll do more commits, and we'll see what sticks - rather than attemtping
> to get it perfect first time.
> I think this is necessary, as generics are only really tested by
> real-world use.  I'm encouraging my (professional) collegues to use this
> branch where they can, so you can bet I'll be trying to keep it as
> stable as possible.  I figure that the time savings of using some of the
> stuff that I have and will put in will outweigh any refactoring issues
> that may arise.

Perhaps one option would be to release an "alpha" or "beta" version.
As it stands I think very few people will take the time check out a
branch from svn and build from source. Having said that, I releases a
BeanUtils beta version and I'm not sure it attracted that much
attention. Having a ready built release at least makes it easy for
people to try out and labelling it alpha/beta IMO means the API's not
set and the final release may have incompatibilities.

> One of which is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-275 -
> the IndexedCollection.  This may do well with some feedback on naming.
> I'll probably be checking something in within the next 12 hours for a
> starting point of "what I need right now".
>
> JIRA -> Can someone get me appropriate developer permissions for the
> Collections project?  Right now I just want to be able to assign myself
> tickets so I can work on them/check them off.  (I'm a committer)

I've given you "committer" role in Jira for Commons.

Niall

> Cheers
>
> Stephen
>
> Brian Egge (JIRA) wrote:
> >     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COLLECTIONS-245?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#action_12538728
]

> > Brian Egge commented on COLLECTIONS-245:
> >
> > I know Stephen Kestle is doing some work on the CollectionUtils.  Are these patches
more complete?  Would it help if I downloaded them, applied them, and then reuploaded a patch
file?

> >> Genericise CollectionUtils and ListUtils.
> >>
> >>                 Key: COLLECTIONS-245
> >>             Project: Commons Collections
> >>          Issue Type: Improvement
> >>          Components: Collection, List
> >>    Affects Versions: Generics
> >>         Environment: Commons Collections JSE5 branch.
> >>            Reporter: Stephen Smith
> >>             Fix For: Generics
> >>
> >>         Attachments: AbstractCollectionDecorator.java, BoundedCollection.java,
CollectionUtils.java, ListUtils.java, TestCollectionUtils.java, TestListUtils.java, UnmodifiableBoundedCollection.java,
UnmodifiableIterator.java

> >> Attached are genericised versions of CollectionUtils and ListUtils, as well
as their test cases. Note that methods involving Transformers have been ignored, as the current
Transformer<I,O> class signature is under consideration.