commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JCI] Moving fam module to Commons IO
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 04:55:37 GMT
On Nov 8, 2007 12:00 AM, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
> > Having said that - I still think this is a good fit for Commons IO and
> > still would like to add it (with the hope that future JCI versions
> > migrate to the IO impl). Anyone else got an opinion on adding it to
> > IO?
>
> I think that a file poller is a good addition to [io]. However, my
> opinion is that it should be just a library and not a framework. My
> judgement on the JIRA code is probably grossly unfair (since its just
> based on class names), but it looks much to much like a framework for
> [io] IMHO.

I like the way that fam (Torsten?) , where this originated, defined
the Listener(interface)<-->Observer(interface)<-->Monitor(class)
structure which provides a good flexible design with pieces that focus
on the role they play. I would define it as a "small component" with 3
working parts - rather than a framework.

Niall