commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] No raw jars for 1.1 - fix readme?
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:16:13 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 19/11/2007, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> sebb wrote:

>>> Where's that?
>> See the link 4 lines down :-)
>
> Ah - I though the word "alternative" 2 lines down referred to something else...

>>> Not sure that one should point to external repositories.
>> Well the Apache repository is rsync:ed to the Central repository, which
>> is fast and mirrored. But if that is unacceptable we can link to the
>> Apache repository that gets rsync:ed there. Unfortunately it is not that
>> fast and is not mirrored (other then the rsync to Central). Here's a
>> link to that:
>>
>> http://people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/commons-logging/jars/
>>
>>> Also, the maven repo does not seem to have signed jars.
>> That is not a "maven repo" issue. It is all up to the people who put
>> jars there. Apache releases are nowadays required to sign stuff that
>> goes there. As you can see in the link above, logging releases starting
>> with version 1.0.4 are signed.
>
> There seem to be different release processes for the people.a.o
> repository and the maven.org one:
>
> people includes .md5 and .asc, but maven has md5 and .sha1
>
> http://people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/commons-logging/jars/
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-logging/commons-logging-api/1.1/
>
> If the two processes are automated, then there's something wrong with
> the automation ... if not, then perhaps they need to be automated
> and/or better documented...
>
> but this is getting OT.

I'll keep it short :-)

For releases made with Maven 1 at the ASF, the artifacts are placed in
the ASF M1 repo. The poms for these artifacts are converted into the
Maven 2 format automagically and synced to the Central M2 repo. The
Central M1 repo is redirected to the Central M2 repo. Therefor there
might be differences between the ASF M1 repo and the Central M1 repo.

>>> I think the best would be to drop the comment from the README.
>> I don't mind that. I doubt many people will download the tar.gz/zip
>> distros anyways.

>>> I suspect few (if any) projects have them under version control, as
>>> they are in an isolated directory.
>>>
>>> The parent dist directory is under version control in the
>>> infrastructure SVN, but most of the subdirectories are specifically
>>> ignored.
>> OK, thanks for explaining that.

>> --
>> Dennis Lundberg