commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-logging 1.1.1 (take 2)
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:28:04 GMT
Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> On 11/19/07, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
> <snip/>
>> I hear what you are saying, but at the time the was not even status quo,
>> because there was no component that had been released with Maven 2.
>> Therefor it was difficult to copy/paste a solution from another component.
>>
> <snap/>
>
> Didn't [fileupload] do m2 for the current release?

Yes they did, but that came after I had created the assembly for logging.

>> If someone can point me to a document that tells me what should be in a
>> source/binary distribution I can create Maven 2 assemblies for it. But
>> until then we're stuck in limbo. And I'm not really interested in
>> dragging this release for another month. It should have been released
>> ages ago. I've already spent too much time on getting the commons-parent
>> and the commons-skin into reasonable shape.
>>
> <snip/>
>
> While I haven't tried Niall's work from last week/weekend, I did see
> two descriptors (for most components) going in, I think its worth
> looking there too.

Yes, there are a couple of components that now have src/bin assemblies
for M2. But if we don't document what should go into them, we'll end up
in the same spot we are now, when the next build system comes along.
When I say document, I mean like a web page or similar that is a part of
the "Commons developers handbook".

There was supposed to come a new predefined assembly in the 2.2 version
of the assembly-plugin, that looked like it could be used for our source
distributions. I haven't had time to look into it though. If we could
use that, then we'd only need to define the binary assembly.

--
Dennis Lundberg