commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logging] No raw jars for 1.1 - fix readme?
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:20:47 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 19/11/2007, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> sebb wrote:
>>> The readme files under:
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dist/commons/logging/
>>>
>>> say:
>>>
>>> "Note: the larger size of the new downloads is due to improvement
>>> documentation shipping with this new release. Those who have very
>>> limited band width may wish to download the raw jars instead."
>>>
>>> However, the raw jars are not present, so perhaps the Note: should be
>>> removed from the 3 README.html files?
>> The raw jars are available in the Central repository.
>
> Where's that?

See the link 4 lines down :-)

>> An alternative is to add a link to:
>>
>>   http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-logging/
>
> Not sure that one should point to external repositories.

Well the Apache repository is rsync:ed to the Central repository, which
is fast and mirrored. But if that is unacceptable we can link to the
Apache repository that gets rsync:ed there. Unfortunately it is not that
fast and is not mirrored (other then the rsync to Central). Here's a
link to that:

http://people.apache.org/repo/m1-ibiblio-rsync-repository/commons-logging/jars/

> Also, the maven repo does not seem to have signed jars.

That is not a "maven repo" issue. It is all up to the people who put
jars there. Apache releases are nowadays required to sign stuff that
goes there. As you can see in the link above, logging releases starting
with version 1.0.4 are signed.

> I think the best would be to drop the comment from the README.

I don't mind that. I doubt many people will download the tar.gz/zip
distros anyways.

>> Are this type of README files stored only on the web server, or are they
>> under version control somewhere?
>
> I suspect few (if any) projects have them under version control, as
> they are in an isolated directory.
>
> The parent dist directory is under version control in the
> infrastructure SVN, but most of the subdirectories are specifically
> ignored.

OK, thanks for explaining that.

--
Dennis Lundberg