commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-logging 1.1.1 (take 2)
Date Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:10:14 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 19/11/2007, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> sebb wrote:

>>> Thanks - I was having problems finding that.
>> Yeah, it seems to have vanished from the Apache archive :-/
>>
>>> There does not seem to have been a final decision (or even summary) of
>>> the e-mail thread, which is a pity. Probably ought to be on the
>>> developer section of the commons site.
>> Consensus was not reached, so I didn't bother writing any docs for it.
>>
>>> However:
>>> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A--all--What%27s-in-a-distribution--p8133008.html
>>> does ask for the whole of SVN to be included.
>>>
>>> AFAICS, only one message supported having a single combined archive;
>>> at least one other message referred to the need to keep archive sizes
>>> small.
>> There was a wide variety of opinions, but no clear direction. I have no
>> objections towards changing the assemblies. I just don't have the energy
>> to push for a standard for Commons assemblies at this time. So I would
>> like to use the assembly that we have now for this release.
>
> Point taken re time to push for standard.
>
> However, even if the standard is not documented, the de facto standard
> for all other commons projects - including previous versions of
> logging - is to provide both source and binary archives.
>
> Given the fact that there was no agreement on change of direction, I
> think logging should stick with the status quo.

I hear what you are saying, but at the time the was not even status quo,
because there was no component that had been released with Maven 2.
Therefor it was difficult to copy/paste a solution from another component.

If someone can point me to a document that tells me what should be in a
source/binary distribution I can create Maven 2 assemblies for it. But
until then we're stuck in limbo. And I'm not really interested in
dragging this release for another month. It should have been released
ages ago. I've already spent too much time on getting the commons-parent
and the commons-skin into reasonable shape.

>> --
>> Dennis Lundberg

Dennis Lundberg