commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [JCI] Moving fam module to Commons IO
Date Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:58:14 GMT
Hey Niall,

Thanks for looking into that. But frankly speaking I am not a big fan
of that for a couple of reasons.

That would make it the 3rd FAM implementation in the commons
codebase. There already is commons-jci-fam, the commons-vfs fam and
then we would also have the commons-io fam.

With commons-jci-fam we already have a well tested and released
version as own artifact. So I am not really seeing the need for
making the general commons-io bigger while this is a more specific
need that IMO maybe justifies it's own artifact. I would be more than
happy to accept patches and improvements within the JCI codebase -
that's for sure!

Mario and I talked about merging the FAM implementations (although I
fear that's not easy). We even considered a commons-fam
project ...it's just that the codebase is a little small on its own.

Maybe it would make more sense to do these changes in commons-jci-fam
first and then move that to a new commons-fam?

WDYT? Niall? Mario?

cheers
--
Torsten