commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Brian A. Egge" <>
Subject [COLLECTIONS] status of 1.5 branch
Date Thu, 25 Oct 2007 21:00:37 GMT

What's the status of the JDK 1.5 branch?  It seems the developers are split as to if it's
a good thing, and if so, if the API should be different or the same.  Most advice I see says
to use the collections15 project on SourceForge.

What I would like, is a drop in replacement, with binary backwards compatibility with the
1.4 version.  I want everything in the same package name, and to have the same names.  If
there are some additional methods, then that would be ok.  Basically, I found upgrading the
JDK collections has been rather painless.  My 1.4 projects work fine in 1.5, and if I want
to change my code to use generics I can.  Eclipse even will help me out with this.  Because
Java decided to use type erasure, it's possible to have a library with generics, that works
identically to one without.

I ran clirr against the 1.5 branch, comparing it to the 3.3 snapshot in the trunk.  It reported
93 differences.  I'm happy to spend some time creating patches for this project, if there
are other people (read committers) who have the time to review and apply the patches, and
also share my vision of a compatible library.

Commons Collections is one of the most popular components within the Commons project, and
the main use of generics is within container classes, so I think it would be a real benefit
to get this project up to date.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message