commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-logging 1.1.1
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:46:19 GMT
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> Thanks Oliver,
>>
>> I'll look into why those files are missing.
>>
>> Oliver Heger wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the artifacts look good to me. Building from source also worked fine.
>>>
>>> The only issue I have is that the jars for the javadocs, sources and
>>> tests do not contain the LICENSE and NOTICE files. I think these
>>> files must be contained in all artifacts we distribute.
>
> The current build is missing these files in the -javadocs and -tests jars.
>
> The -sources jar include these files in the jar, but they are placed in
> the root instead of in the META-INF directory. This is because
> maven-sources-plugin 2.0.3 does not take into account the <targetPath>
> when adding a <resource> to the jar. I haven't been able to fix this,
> but at least the files are in there, even though they are in the wrong
> place. Is this a blocker?

Realizing that I'm talking to myself here but...

This was already reported in Maven's JIRA as
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSOURCES-18 with a patch attached. I
have applied the patch and deployed a 2.0.4-SNAPSHOT of
maven-source-plugin. Looking into the rest of the issues for that plugin
so that I can hopefully release it soon.

> Option 1a:
>
> Using maven-remote-resources-plugin we can get standard Apache LICENSE
> and NOTICE files included in the main logging jars, as well as the
> -tests and -javadoc jars. This is the standard Maven way to add LICENSE
> and NOTICE files within the ASF.
>
> Option 1b:
>
> In 1a, the main jars will get two files of each in META-INF, because
> commons-parent manually includes the local LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt
> files, by declaring a <resource> for these files. This could be solved
> by removing that part of the commons-parent pom.
>
> Option 2:
>
> We add a <testResource> similar to the <resource> used in
> commons-parent. This will insert the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files
> into the -tests jar, but not the -javadoc jar.
>

> I prefer option 1b and would volunteer to manage a release of
> commons-parent.
>

>>> Otherwise I'd be +1.
>>>
>>> Oliver

Dennis Lundberg