commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-logging 1.1.1
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2007 17:47:00 GMT
Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> Thanks Oliver,
>
> I'll look into why those files are missing.
>
> Oliver Heger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the artifacts look good to me. Building from source also worked fine.
>>
>> The only issue I have is that the jars for the javadocs, sources and
>> tests do not contain the LICENSE and NOTICE files. I think these files
>> must be contained in all artifacts we distribute.

The current build is missing these files in the -javadocs and -tests jars.

The -sources jar include these files in the jar, but they are placed in
the root instead of in the META-INF directory. This is because
maven-sources-plugin 2.0.3 does not take into account the <targetPath>
when adding a <resource> to the jar. I haven't been able to fix this,
but at least the files are in there, even though they are in the wrong
place. Is this a blocker?

Option 1a:

Using maven-remote-resources-plugin we can get standard Apache LICENSE
and NOTICE files included in the main logging jars, as well as the
-tests and -javadoc jars. This is the standard Maven way to add LICENSE
and NOTICE files within the ASF.

Option 1b:

In 1a, the main jars will get two files of each in META-INF, because
commons-parent manually includes the local LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt
files, by declaring a <resource> for these files. This could be solved
by removing that part of the commons-parent pom.

Option 2:

We add a <testResource> similar to the <resource> used in
commons-parent. This will insert the LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files
into the -tests jar, but not the -javadoc jar.

I prefer option 1b and would volunteer to manage a release of
commons-parent.

>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/logging/tags/commons-logging-1.1.1/

>>> http://people.apache.org/~dennisl/commons-logging-1.1.1.tar.gz.asc
>>> http://people.apache.org/~dennisl/commons-logging-1.1.1.zip