commons-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Venners <bv-...@artima.com>
Subject Selecting Package Names
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 23:00:08 GMT
Hello,

I just now joined this list to ask a question. I apologize to the
extent it is off-topic, but I didn't know how else to reach someone
involved with Apache Commons who would know the answer.

When someone proposes a new API for Apache Commons, what are the
rules about acceptance and package naming? It looks like APIs in the
sandbox are allowed to have the package names that you'd want them to
ultimately have if they are approved. Is that correct? If so, doesn't
that mean the package name is burned forever if it ends up getting
moved to dormant and abandoned?

Also, I would assume that APIs in sandbox are allowed to make
breaking changes from release to release, as the APIs there are being
"tried out." Once they are promoted to commons proper, you would try
very hard maintain backwards compatibility from release to release?
Is that correct? I couldn't find anything to that effect on the web
site.

Lastly, what is the process for letting something into the sandbox in
the first place?

The reason I ask this is there's a nascent project in the Scala
community that is very similar to Apache Commons. And they are
debating how to manage it. I figured it would help them to understand
how other similar projects were managed, to learn from your experience.

I appreciate any insights you may have to offer. Feel free to email
me privately or on this list.

Thanks.

Bill
----