commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [COLLECTIONS] status of 1.5 branch
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 05:44:04 GMT
Afaiu, the main reluctance is that no one has stepped up and started
organizing it.

I seem to recall there being a strong view that we didn't want
Collections to be glossy painted with 1.5, but that whole APIs should
be rethought as they contained workarounds to the lack of generics.

+1 on pulling together the information into one place.

Hen

On 10/25/07, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> Maybe we should set up a wiki page to discuss this 1.5 problem for
> collections (and maybe other projects).  We should outline why we have
> been reluctant as of yet to "genericize" collections (binary
> compatibility, serialization issues, etc.).  That way folks don't have
> to try to search through the archives or try to remember (I'm having a
> hard time remembering the whole conversation) all the details.
>
> On 10/25/07, Brian A. Egge <brianegge@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What's the status of the JDK 1.5 branch?  It seems the developers are split as to
if it's a good thing, and if so, if the API should be different or the same.  Most advice
I see says to use the collections15 project on SourceForge.

> > What I would like, is a drop in replacement, with binary backwards compatibility
with the 1.4 version.  I want everything in the same package name, and to have the same names.
 If there are some additional methods, then that would be ok.  Basically, I found upgrading
the JDK collections has been rather painless.  My 1.4 projects work fine in 1.5, and if I
want to change my code to use generics I can.  Eclipse even will help me out with this.  Because
Java decided to use type erasure, it's possible to have a library with generics, that works
identically to one without.

> > I ran clirr against the 1.5 branch, comparing it to the 3.3 snapshot in the trunk.
 It reported 93 differences.  I'm happy to spend some time creating patches for this project,
if there are other people (read committers) who have the time to review and apply the patches,
and also share my vision of a compatible library.

> > Commons Collections is one of the most popular components within the Commons project,
and the main use of generics is within container classes, so I think it would be a real benefit
to get this project up to date.