commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: TextIterable ?
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2007 05:39:16 GMT
On 10/25/07, Hanson Char <hanson.char@gmail.com> wrote:
> Henri,
>
> LineIterator is intended/designed to be a hidden implementation behind
> TextIterable.  It's like putting the cart in front of the horse.
> Things don't make much sense if LineIterator is taken out of context
> as a standalone public class - issues of InputStream vs Reader,
> encoding, closing of input stream, etc. go away at the higher level of
> abstraction, aka TextIterable.

My personal view is that:

a) I hate APIs that force me to think in terms of File/URL and not in
term of streams. It's like not having piping in unix.
b) The class that opens the stream should close the stream.

> The 1.5 issue is, unfortunate, a real issue.  I haven't programmed in
> pre-1.5 Java for 2+ years now.  Sorry for the folks who are not so
> lucky.

Yeah, it's a pain in the arse and more; the inability to move the
libraries to 1.5 slowly kills Commons. Thus you see various
Collections clones out there starting up with a 1.5 focus. A lot of
that though is because Collections -> 1.5 isn't something that you
just wave a magic wand on.

Personally I finally moved to 1.5 in the last year. 1.4 is yesterday's
trash to me now. As a whole Commons is just about at the point of
being happy to drop 1.3 support, with new components being 1.5+.

Hen