commons-dev mailing list archives

From Apache Wiki <wikidi...@apache.org>
Subject [Commons Wiki] Update of "Email" by BenSpeakmon
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:55:21 GMT
Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by BenSpeakmon:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Email

The comment on the change is:
- update status, archive 1.1 discussion, fix TLP links

Commons Email] aims to provide a API for sending email. It is built on top of the JavaMail
API, which it aims to simplify.[[BR]] A lot of information is available on the [http://commons.apache.org/email/
Commons Email website].[[BR]] If you don't find the information you need you can always contact
us using one of the [http://commons.apache.org/mail-lists.html#Commons mailing lists]. ||

  = (Official) Project Status =

- The current status (updated 11/2006) is available through SVN [http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/email/trunk/STATUS.html
here].
+ The current status (updated 10/2007) is available through SVN [http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/email/trunk/STATUS.html
here]. The 1.1 release has been approved and announced. The Commons community welcomes those
who wish to drive the project further.

  ----

- = Recently resolved issues (last updated Aug 20 2007) =
+ = Release Plan =
+
+ No current plan is active as the 1.1 release has been approved and announced.
+
+ ----
+
+ = Archived discussion of 1.1 changes =
+
+ This section contains notes on the reasoning behind the 1.1 fixes and waived changes so
that other developers can use it as a starting point for their work.

  == New features ==

@@ -27, +35 @@

  == Character set fixes/support ==

- email 1.0 provided limited support for different charsets, and it's generated four issues.

+ email 1.0 provided limited support for different charsets, and it's generated four issues.

  ''(Added in rev 510275)'' [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-1 EMAIL-1]: Default
email charset not used for text content. A patch has been uploaded that defines three different
cases for this behavior and tests/fixes each.

@@ -55, +63 @@

  I think that this has to fall into that class of problems that would be better served with
JavaMail, so I'd recommend this be wontfixed.''

- = Open issues (last updated Aug 20 2007) =
-
- These are the currently open issues organized according to category.
-
- == New feature requests ==
-
  [https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/EMAIL-65 EMAIL-65]: Improve HtmlEmail MIME layout.

- Morten Hatteson makes the point that the MIME structure generated by HtmlEmail after the
patch for EMAIL-50 could be better in spec compliance. I doubt we can fix it properly while
still maintaing backward compatibility, but we should see if it can be improved to some degree.
This is likely going to be the last release of this component, and I'd like to leave it in
as good a shape as possible if I'm going to tell users to live with it forever.
+ ''(BenSpeakmon) This could be made better as detailed in the issue -- I took a crack at
it, but it turned out to touch a lot of moving parts to the point where I felt uncomfortable
doing it in a point release. If anybody wants to use this as a starting point for a 2.0 release,
possibly based on the contributed code, feel free :)''

- ----
-
- = Release Plan =
-
- In addition to performing steps in http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/prepare.html,
also do the following:
-
-  * Get maven 2 build to the point where it can do everything the m1 build does
-  * Remove the m1 build
-  * Do a javadoc pass; leave no public/protected member undocumented
-  * Run complete build, test, and package cycle on JDK 1.4, 5, and 6
-  * Upload my gpg key for signing the release
-