commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [lang] notice of itch to commit
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:43:22 GMT

--- James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:

> You mean this extension would allow some sort of
> "registry" which is
> keyed by the second argument of the format
> expression?  So, I could do
> something like...
>
> ExtendedMessageFormat fmt = new
> ExtendedMessageFormat();
> fmt.addFormatHandler("foo", new MyFooHandler() );
> String str = fmt.format("Hello, {0,foo}!", "James
> Carman");
>
> Now maybe you'd register the "handler" globally, but
> you get the idea.

That's essentially the effect I want to achieve.  As
for global blah, I am more interested in doing things
on a POJO basis; I think there are plenty of solutions
out there anymore that would allow a user to automate
the config for multiple instances that there's no
percentage in resorting to weird tricks to get all
instances of the proposed ExtendedMessageFormat to use
the same custom delegate formats.

-Matt