commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [email] 1.1 release time?
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:31:06 GMT
On 9/14/07, Ben Speakmon <bspeakmon@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> After a lot of work and even more missed time, I think email has progressed
> to the point where work on a release may begin. All recently reported bugs,
> aside from one enhancement that would require nontrivial rewriting, are
> closed, and I think it's time to get the work done since 1.0 into users'
> hands.
>
> I hereby volunteer to get the release moving if no one objects -- hopefully
> to start next Monday or Tuesday and have an RC1 for votes by the end of next
> week.

+1

> You can also find my feeble attempt at a release plan on the wiki page for
> email.
>
> Thoughts?

Rather than wait for the RC - thought I have a quick look in advance:

1) NOTICE file
I've updated the copyright year in the NOTICE file to 2007

2) CLIRR
IMO would be good to run a CLIRR report for changes between 1.0 and
1.1 when you produce the RC - its helpful so that anyone
reviewing/voting on the RC can be satisfied whether this release is
binary compatible with the 1.0 release.

3) Release Notes
Release notes need to be done for 1.1 (RELEASE-NOTES.txt still
reflects 1.0). As well as changes, a statement on compatibility with
the previous release would be good - also I'm guessing that the
minimum java version has changed from JDK 1.3 to JDK 1.4 in this
release - if that is the case then it would also be good to state that
in the release notes.

4) Building Page
The building page on the Email site still reflects maven1 and needs to
be updated for maven 2

Other than that looks in pretty good shape to me.

Niall