commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proxy] Cutting a release...
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 22:04:19 GMT
Optional means that you can use the product without these dependencies
present. Take commons-logging as an example. It has optional
dependencies on log4j and the other logging implementations. In the real
world though it will only use one of these. So they are optional.

Provided means that that dependency will be provided by the target
environment. A good example of this is the servlet-api, which will be
provided by the servlet container.

Dennis Lundberg