commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Doing Commons releases using Maven 2
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:29:50 GMT
Hi all

I'd like to prepare the release of commons-logging 1.1.1. The release
will be done entirely with Maven 2. Since this is fairly new for
Commons, I'd like to hear you opinions on how this should be done.

Previous discussions regarding our release process indicate that voting
on a release should be done on the "actual bits". This can be difficult
do achieve, depending on what the process looks like.

Here's how we do it over at the Maven project. See [1] for full details.

1.  Create a tag in svn with the actual release number (not an rc)
2.  Build the entire distribution from the tag
3.  Upload the distributions to people.a.o/~username for review/vote
4.1 If the vote is positive, move the distribution to the central m2
repository
4.2 If the vote is negative, remove the tag from svn and start again

Most of this is fully automated and supported by Maven 2 and plugins.

Does this sound like a good way to do releases using Maven 2 here in
Commons, as well?

[1] http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/releasing.html

--
Dennis Lundberg