commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Chr. Grobmeier" <grobme...@possessed.de>
Subject Re: [VFS] Writing to Jar, Zip, Tar..
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 08:44:52 GMT
Hi,

> I would be interested to see write support for files such as Jar, Tar
> and Zip etc in VFS. If you already have some code that works, thats great

ok, i didn't finish all the code necessary, but i remember there are
only smaller chunks left to write.

> I am a Jakarta HttpCore committer as well, and also the lead developer
> of Apache Synapse. So maybe I could try to be of help to get your code
> into the SVN with the help of a VFS committer?

I think this would work; i contributed a few lines code before with
the help of the commons people in here. I think Mario (VFS) may also
be interested in this.

> Cant you rely on java.util.zip and java.util.jar packages instead of
> compress?

Yes, we could, but as far as i understood people didn't want to use
this sun-specific packages and implemented these classes themself
under Apache License. However, its possible to extend compress with
own packages, so one can rely on those you mentioned with writing some
kind of plugin.

Best,
Chris