commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 4
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 05:11:17 GMT
Jochen Wiedmann wrote on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 12:10 PM:

> On 8/7/07, Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schaible@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
>
>> One wish: Can we add the following lines to the
> surefire-plugin's section in the pluginManagement:
>>
>> <configuration>
>>         <useFile>false</useFile>
>> </configuration>
>>
>> This will configure the plugin not to write the *.txt files
> into target/surefire-report, but to print them on the
> console. This is a big help for nightly and Gump builds,
> since you can see immediately which test went wrong with what problem.
>
> -1 (to the wish, not to the vote)
>
> The nightly and Gump builds can overwrite the configuration. And the
> majority of developers will surely don't wish to be flooded with such
> messages.

What means "flooded" here? You only get additional console output in case a unit test fails.
Have you ever tried this setting before simply vetoing it? I use it on my daily job and it
is a great help if something fails. Otherwise Maven simply reports that a test has failed
and you have to find out yourself which one. Take a project with a lot of unit tests and you
know what I mean. Try to find the failing test between 500 successful ones. And it is then
a major pain to find out why. With this setting you see immediately which one failed and why.

- Jörg