commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VFS] Writing to Jar, Zip, Tar..
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2007 13:00:27 GMT

On 25.08.2007, at 14:31, Chr. Grobmeier wrote:

> ah very well-
> i checked out truezip yesterday and found it quite good.
> Its time to ask again if compress should go to dormancy
> when such a good component is available with ASF license.

I am not sure I totally agree here. Last time I looked it was pretty
much a one-man show from the original author. I wanted to provide a
patch for some feature. It did not fit into his vision of truezip. So
I left. (Did I hear someone say fork?) IMO extending java.io.File is
also a very questionable design approach. But anyway - the problem
with this is that with truezip being available there are even less
people eager to work on compress ...as for the most simple things
there is truezip available.

My 2 cents

cheers
--