commons-dev mailing list archives

From John <jhuns...@txttools.co.uk>
Subject Re: Project Ideas
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 10:03:27 GMT
Hi,

login to JIRA and raise your enhancements as New Features:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/

John.

Matthias Rothe wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Since I've profited from using libraries of the Apache Commons Project I'd like to give
something back to the community.

> Lately I've been working on two library projects. One aims at creating a collections
framework that seamlessly integrates with the JCF (Java Collections Framework) while permitting
transparent persistence.

> Say you've got an ArrayList of data objects you need to work with and store away. Usually
you would have to load the objects from some source (XML, database etc.) put them into the
ArrayList to manipulate or use them and later store any changes to them yourself.

> I think this can be done more transparently by telling the ArrayList were to get its
objects, work on those objects and let the ArrayList handle all the persistence issues. That
would make working with persistent objects as simple as working with in memory ones.

> By using a strategy pattern any kind of data source could be wrapped and therefore become
accessible for any collection type.

> ---
>
> The second project is a physics related library containing classes for all sorts of measuring
units, their prefixes and measurables, objects that take a subtype of Number and a measuring
unit.

> Those measurables will be capable of converting themselves into target measurables of
the same or a related measuring unit. Say you have an object of the measurable type meters
and want to convert it to miles. All you would need to do is passing the meters object the
desired measuring unit and prefix and you'd get a new measurable of the target unit and prefix
and the converted value.

> Furthermore all measurables, measuring units and prefixes will be able to tell their
names (and values) in a locale sensitive way, either abbreviated (e.g. km) or fully (e.g.
kilometer).