commons-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Defoort <filip...@cirquedigital.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] Writing to Jar, Zip, Tar..
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:41:43 GMT
Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:
> Filip Defoort skrev  den 27-08-2007 18:01:
>>>
>>> Good luck doing that cross platform in java :)
>> Well, I didn't mean mount as in actually mount a file system, just
>> unzip and maintain an uncompressed directory tree of the portions of
>> the zip file that are in use in java.io.tmpdir. Right now truezip is
>> updating the zip file itself for every single operation, and that's
>> where it's losing all performance. So, it's not _that_ hard ;-).
>>
> So you are basically suggesting some kind of cache layer with delayed
> write operations?
Yes, indeed. Have the system unpack the parts of the zip that are
actively used and only do an actual write on a FileSystem.close() (or
perhaps on a flush). Without this type of layer, the performance will be
pretty poor.. (as it is with the mockup of the zip filesystem based on
truezip).

> Perhaps a generic approach for that might be suitable?
Indeed. I've been meaning to look into this but haven't had time.

- Filip