commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Asankha C. Perera" <>
Subject Re: Specifying options to FTP etc..
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:11:14 GMT
Hi Mario

> It is possible through the *FileSystemConfigurationBuilder stuff only.
Unfortunately this does not work for me, as I can only specify a VFS
URI. So VFS needs to figure out and make it happen in my case
>> ftp://myusername:mypassword@somehost/pub/downloads/somefile.tgz?option=value
>> Have I missed something to get passive mode specified via the URI or
>> can we assume the above to be a good solution?
> I don't think that adding them as option to the URI is a good idea as
> the URI parameters are meant to be processed by the destination (e.g. an
> http server) and not by VFS.
I don't quite agree with this - this may be the common case for HTTP,
but the URI spec does not enforce it.
"The query string represents some operation applied to the object, but
this specification gives no common syntax or semantics for it. In
practice the syntax and sematics may depend on the scheme and may even
on the base URI."/

Also there are IRI schemes that specify such parameters already. Ref the
JMS scheme here