commons-dev mailing list archives

From Filip Defoort <filip...@cirquedigital.com>
Subject Re: [VFS] Writing to Jar, Zip, Tar..
Date Mon, 27 Aug 2007 16:01:59 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> On 25.08.2007, at 17:26, Filip Defoort wrote:
>
>> Mario Ivankovits wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> It is an interesting topic (to underline this: I am sitting here on
>>> vacation for a hadful of days using my mobile to write this mail ;-)
>>> ), though, due to some other OS projects I am really getting out of
>>> time.
>>> Anyway, the j.i.file way of truezip is the case why I didnt support
>>> this idea actively - i dont like this api.
>>>
>> Agree, that's why I didn't pursue the idea as well. The way things
>> are done via truezip (constantly rolling over the contents of the zip
>> file) makes it dead slow for large files. The zip file really should
>> be 'mounted' on a scratch disk (or at least the portion that is being
>> used) and 'unmounted' upon closing the FS.
>
> Good luck doing that cross platform in java :)
Well, I didn't mean mount as in actually mount a file system, just unzip
and maintain an uncompressed directory tree of the portions of the zip
file that are in use in java.io.tmpdir. Right now truezip is updating
the zip file itself for every single operation, and that's where it's
losing all performance. So, it's not _that_ hard ;-).

- Filip