commons-dev mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Roessler <cont...@roessler-wolfgang.de>
Subject Re: WELCOME to dev@commons.apache.org
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 05:46:45 GMT
Hi,

switching from the user to the developer-list, I just post the same mail again *g.

I came across CLI some time ago, when I was looking for a "framework" to help me process the
command-line easily. I tried CLI1.1 and CLI2 and I have to admit, I am satisfied with neither.

While parsing works as far as I have tried, the validation (which I consider more important
and costly) is not yet what I expect. While CLI1.1 offers nothing, CLI2 at least has some
simple checks. I would need a flexible approach for modelling (complex) dependencies.

What I would expect is, that I only have to specify the command-line (available options, dependencies,
special validations ...) and all parsing and validation is done for me.

I don't only want to complain about the situation, but I want to offer my help. If there is
a clear direction where to go, I am willing to invest some time to help with a new release.
The idee of CLI is great, but for a really useful solution in my opinion a lot has to be improved.

Greets
Wolfgang