commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] Writing to Jar, Zip, Tar..
Date Sat, 25 Aug 2007 15:19:00 GMT
Hi!

It is an interesting topic (to underline this: I am sitting here on vacation for a hadful
of days using my mobile to write this mail ;-) ), though, due to some other OS projects I
am really getting out of time.
Anyway, the j.i.file way of truezip is the case why I didnt support this idea actively - i
dont like this api.
So, to reach the point having compress dealing with this stuff AND a working vfs provider
will wake me up again ;-)

Mario

-----Original Message-----
From: Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org>
Date: Saturday, Aug 25, 2007 3:01 pm
Subject: Re: [VFS] Writing to Jar, Zip, Tar..
To: Reply-    "Jakarta Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>To: "Jakarta
Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>

>On 25.08.2007, at 14:31, Chr. Grobmeier wrote:
>
>> ah very well-
> i checked out truezip yesterday and found it quite good.
> Its time to ask again if compress should go to dormancy
> when such a good component is available with ASF license.
>
>I am not sure I totally agree here. Last time I looked it was pretty  much a one-man show
from the original author. I wanted to provide a  patch for some feature. It did not fit into
his vision of truezip. So  I left. (Did I hear someone say fork?) IMO extending java.io.File
is  also a very questionable design approach. But anyway - the problem  with this is that
with truezip being available there are even less  people eager to work on compress ...as for
the most simple things  there is truezip available.