commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject [CLI] CLI Validation - Was: WELCOME to dev@commons.apache.org
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 14:09:09 GMT
Hi Wolfgang,

It's great that the bugfix release has driven some interest onto the
lists for improving the library. Validation sounds very useful - is it
something that you think Commons Validator would be useful for, or do
the use cases not quite match?

Brian and others... any thoughts?

CLI future wise, I think we're looking at:

* CLI 1.2. Consider whether a bugfix release is required. Make small
changes, nothing too huge.

* CLI2. Need to get the 17 2.0 issues taken care of and look to
releasing CLI 2.0 [or CLI2 1.0]. There seems to be enough interest in
CLI2 for us to move to this.

Hen

On 8/14/07, Wolfgang Roessler <contact@roessler-wolfgang.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> switching from the user to the developer-list, I just post the same mail again *g.
>
> I came across CLI some time ago, when I was looking for a "framework" to help me process
the command-line easily. I tried CLI1.1 and CLI2 and I have to admit, I am satisfied with
neither.

> While parsing works as far as I have tried, the validation (which I consider more important
and costly) is not yet what I expect. While CLI1.1 offers nothing, CLI2 at least has some
simple checks. I would need a flexible approach for modelling (complex) dependencies.

> What I would expect is, that I only have to specify the command-line (available options,
dependencies, special validations ...) and all parsing and validation is done for me.

> I don't only want to complain about the situation, but I want to offer my help. If there
is a clear direction where to go, I am willing to invest some time to help with a new release.
The idee of CLI is great, but for a really useful solution in my opinion a lot has to be improved.