commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [CLI] Getting moving with 2.0
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 23:27:26 GMT
> For the latter, I use:
>
> function propcheck() {
>    for i in `find $1 -type f -name '*.properties'`
>    do
>        for j in `cat $i | sed 's/=.*//'`

This does not allow for comment or continuation lines ...

>        do
>            grep -R --exclude='*properties*' --exclude='*svn*' $j $1 > /dev/null

Might be safer to include only *.java files.  Can properties be used
in other files?

Otherwise certainly need to exclude *.metaprop files (used by at least
one I18n editor).

Would also be safer to match "$j", as the property name has to be
quoted when used. Otherwise it can match property names that are a
substring of other names.

It can still match property names that are not being used as properties.
This may or may not be a big problem, depending on the naming
convention (if any) used, and particularly the length of the property
names - shorter ones are more likely to trigger false matches.