commons-dev mailing list archives

From simon <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: [jxpath/all] Maven site help
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 19:54:28 GMT
On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 12:23 -0700, Matt Benson wrote:

> Is the fact that the sites can be made uniform the
> driving reason to use Maven 1 or 2?  If,
> hypothetically speaking, there were a third option
> that could generate the site identically, would there
> be a good reason to forbid its use?

Maven2 really is a whole lot better than maven1. It's *much* faster and
*much* stabler. It's also the currently supported version.

Yes maven can be rather mysterious at times; I'm not convinced it is the
best of all build systems. However I can't imagine getting the sort of
nice websites we currently have from any other tool without major effort
and complexity - at which point we'd all have to learn this new, unique
and badly documented system rather than maven. I don't think there's an
easy solution to this problem. Probably best to just improve our
documentation about how to get Maven to work for us..

There is a nice maven manual available for download called "Better
Builds with Maven". See the documentation link on the maven.apache.org
site.

BTW, I see that Mergere.com (home of many maven developers) is now
DevZuz.com. That had me confused for a while..

Cheers,

Simon