commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jochen Wiedmann" <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RFC: Fileupload 1.3 or 2.0?
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2007 05:42:17 GMT

> * We were already starting to clone classes from what was originally
> HttpClient and is now HttpComponents. One example is the ParameterParser
> class. When I saw HttpComponents being born, saw a lot of other stuff in
> there that FileUpload was doing, it looked like it would make a lot of sense
> to build FileUpload on top of HttpComponents, thus dramatically cutting down
> the amount of code necessary to build a FileUpload package.

I agree with you on that it might make sense to reuse components from
outside, if possible. Unfortunately HttpComponents (in the person of
Oleg Kalnichevski) has repeatedly declared that he has no interest in
adding a multipart parser to httpcomponents, which would be (IMO) the
most important part. Instead he suggested to add such a parser to
Commons Codec. I personally believe, that this extends the scope of
Commons Codec. But yes, if possible, I'd still be interested to reuse
another multipart parser. Do you know of any ASL licensed?

> Also, it would still be good to have a much more clear distinction between
> what is supposed to be public and what is not. (For example, recall the
> MultipartStream threads from not so long ago.)

Agreed. I was surprised to hear that the multipart parser *is* being reused.

> Oh, and I'm definitely in favour of going for a 2.0 release and cleaning up
> some crud along the way. I just don't think I'll be in a position to help
> any time soon, I'm afraid.

As expected, but sad to hear anyways. :-)

Thanks,

Jochen

--
"Besides, manipulating elections is under penalty of law, resulting in
a preventative effect against manipulating elections.

The german government justifying the use of electronic voting machines
and obviously  believing that we don't need a police, because all
illegal actions are forbidden.

http://dip.bundestag.de/btd/16/051/1605194.pdf