commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [proposal] No VOTE needed to elect ASF committers to commons WAS: Re: request karma to commons validator/i18n
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2007 18:54:19 GMT
> On 7/6/07, Phil Steitz <phil.steitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > So my proposal is that any ASF committer who wishes to become a
> > commons committer just needs to make that request here on the
> > commons-dev mailing list and they will granted karma for both commons
> > proper and commons sandbox.  Expectation is of course that ASF
> > committers joining the commons will "behave"
> > (http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/JakartaCommonsEtiquette).
>
> Obviously I'm +1 on making it easier.
<snip/>

I will try to dispel this particular "making it easier" and "openness" myth :-)

 * I don't think its hard in the first place (unless someone doesn't
care to try, but then they probably don't care enough anyway).

 * There is a difference between sandbox and proper. Sandbox is open
to all ASF committers with the intent that new ideas should be allowed
to flourish at minimal starter costs.

 * Released components can (potentially, hah!) have direction and
roadmaps. Its not the same as sandbox.

 * My personal opinion after our similar experiment at Jakarta is that
this sort of thing is good to flaunt in theory.

 * Finally, I'm not saying we need to get existing ASF committers to
supply n number of patches before we can nominate them etc. All I'm
saying is IMO this is important enough for the health of the community
to be done on a case by case basis.

> As far as behaving - the
> solution is that the quiet majority have to step up and yell if
> someone is being a rude ****.

<snap/>

Somewhat late, much damage is done. Ofcourse, its not possible to
guarantee this will never happen as we operate today, but IMO the
chances are smaller.

> We've a bit of a technical issue on it; it's quite easy to show up and
> if a component is in a lull, to charge in and make sweeping changes.
> The release is a point where we can nip that in the bud, but that's a
> long time after lots of work.

<snip/>

Yup.

> So I think something I would be looking for when someone wants to hop
> in is that there is an active commons committer managing the component
> they're about to commit to.
<snap/>

Agreed, note the current modus operandi sort of helps with that too.

> Other than that, I believe in as open a
> door as possible.

<snip/>

Me too, as long as there is a door :-)