commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Benedict" <pbened...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [BeanUtils] Progressing towards a 1.8.0 release
Date Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:38:03 GMT
On 7/14/07, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was around (just) when 1.7.0 was released but I have no recollection
> of the decisions made on packaging. I believe the "bean-collections"
> related bean stuff came originally from commons collections - so I
> presume this allows people to continue to use these classes wihout
> taking on the whole of beanutils - and for the bean-collections free
> version - assures people there are no other dependencies. Anyway the
> main reason to continue to provide them is so anyone who has chosen to
> use them can continue to do so.
>
> Niall

If I may guess, 1.7 was built before Maven 2 was released. M1 did not have a
concept of optional dependencies, so the only way to prevent unwanted
dependencies was splitting libraries. IMO, the build technology has improved
and there's no longer a necessity to provide them. For those already using
them, well, unless you are going to upload them to the M1 repository too, I
don't think the split benefits existent users anymore. My 2 cents.

Paul