commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Managed Connection support
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:28:44 GMT
On Jul 5, 2007, at 7:13 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> Thanks, Dain.  I applied the patch.
>
> I also patched the m1 and ant builds to work.  The Ant now fails with
> JDK 1.3, but unless someone screams loudly soon, we have moved the
> minimum jdk level for dbcp 1.3 to JDK 1.4 (per earlier discussion), so
> this is not an issue.

Sweet! That was very fast.

> <snip/>
>>
>> For now the code is contained in the org.apache.commons.dbcp.managed
>> package, but I would suspect we may want to spread it out amongst the
>> existing packages instead of creating a feature specific package.
>> I'm also not sure what additional interfaces people may want such as
>> equivalents of the BasicDataSource or BasicDataSourceFactory.
>>
> I am ambivalent on the merging into existing packages, but we should
> talk about this.

We can figure that out as we get close to a release.  If the thing
isn't fully tested by then we could just mark the whole package as
experimental.

>> The code has tests and has javadoc, but it needs real world testing
>> and some real docs.  I'm going try hooking it into OpenEJB and
>> running it's massive test suite with a couple of opensource DBs.
>>
>> Anyways, I hope you all like it and accept the patch.  I'm around to
>> help with changes or whatever.  I also ran into a few bugs while
>> working on this that are already reported in JIRA (like the close
>> bugs) and am willing to help with those also.
>>
> That would be greatly appreciated.  We really need [dbcp] and [pool]
> volunteers.  Given that you are an ASF committer, all you have to do
> is ask to get commons karma and you are certainly welcome to do that
> :)

Excellent, I definitely like access, so I can fix any bugs in the
code directly.

> In [dbcp] 1.3, we can fix the close semantics and other things that
> involve semantic changes.  All suggestions and patches are welcome.

I'll take a look at it when I get back in town next week.

Thanks again,

-dain