commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Remove SQLNestedException
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 05:00:32 GMT
> > On Jul 24, 2007, at 7:56 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:
> >
> > > On 7/23/07, Dain Sundstrom <dain@iq80.com> wrote:
> <snip/>

> > > This is tempting, but it breaks backward compatibility, so we should
> > > probably deprecate in 1.3 and remove in the next major release.  I
> > > guess the deprecation warning / release notes should just tell people
> > > to remove "legacy" casts in client code, since we never advertise this
> > > exception.
> >
> > Sounds good.  I marked the class as deprecated, moved DBCP-143 to
> > 1.4, and added a note to the change log.
> >
> <snap/>
>
> He means v2.0 AFAICT. Details [1].
>
> -Rahul
>
> [1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/versioning.html

Yes that's what I meant, following our rules.  In this case, that is a
little extreme, however, since the only breakage that I can think of
is old 1.3 code that includes explicit casts in catch blocks, or
direct usage or extension of the since-1.4-obsolete exception class
itself.  Is this really worth waiting for 2.0?  Am I missing something
here?

Phil

Phil