commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [proposal] No VOTE needed to elect ASF committers to commons WAS: Re: request karma to commons validator/i18n
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2007 20:31:06 GMT
> On 7/6/07, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/6/07, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> > > I would like to commit to commons validator and commons i18n to enhance
> > > them for Struts. For validator, I want to add and finish some issues in
> > > the current snapshot, and, respectively, port some good i18n code from
> > > other Apache projects. Can I get karma for this?
> >
> > Although Commons has a liberal policy on giving Karma to ASF
> > committers a better (more ASF like) first step IMO would have been to
> > start talking about what you want to do first - a good recent example
> > of that is Dain:
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/yrmgpf
> >
> > Even though I'm already a committer I still regularly create Jira
> > tickets and post patches (for code changes) to components that I don't
> > have much history on rather than diving straight in.  I'm hoping
> > you'll do the same, 'coz I'm going to be unhappy if I start seeing
> > Validator commits with no prior discussion.
>
> Ack - Martin just pointed out that it's Sandbox karma on request, not
> all of Commons.
>
> I'll adjust - ie: Paul will have commit for i18n, but we'll have to
> vote to give him commit to validator.

Sorry, I thought we had changed that policy, so I guess I would like
to propose that we change it now.  It does not really make sense to me
to distinguish the sandbox and I think we should make it as easy as
possible for existing ASF committers to contribute to commons.

So my proposal is that any ASF committer who wishes to become a
commons committer just needs to make that request here on the
commons-dev mailing list and they will granted karma for both commons
proper and commons sandbox.  Expectation is of course that ASF
committers joining the commons will "behave"
(http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/JakartaCommonsEtiquette).

As an alternative, we could discuss requests for karma from ASF
committers on private@ (good sign that we have not even created that
yet :) but I don't personally see the need to do that.

In any case, I don't think we should revert to the old practice of
public committer votes (whether or not the individual is a current ASF
committer).

Phil