commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DBCP] Managed Connection support
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:13:09 GMT

> I just posted a patch JIRA which adds support for container managed
> connections to DBCP.  In an environment where you have an accessible
> transaction manger such as Tomcat (when installed), Geronimo or
> OpenEJB, this patch allows adds support for pooling managed
> connections to an XA or non-XA data base.
>
> There are many libraries that use DBCP for non-managed environments,
> but when additional resources such as a JMS provider are added to the
> mix, they have to replace DBCP with something else.  If you search
> google for XA and DBCP, you will loads of painful direction on how to
> replace DBCP with something else.  I personally want to use DBCP in
> Tomcat with ActiveMQ.

Thanks, Dain.  I applied the patch.

I also patched the m1 and ant builds to work.  The Ant now fails with
JDK 1.3, but unless someone screams loudly soon, we have moved the
minimum jdk level for dbcp 1.3 to JDK 1.4 (per earlier discussion), so
this is not an issue.

<snip/>

> For now the code is contained in the org.apache.commons.dbcp.managed
> package, but I would suspect we may want to spread it out amongst the
> existing packages instead of creating a feature specific package.
> I'm also not sure what additional interfaces people may want such as
> equivalents of the BasicDataSource or BasicDataSourceFactory.

I am ambivalent on the merging into existing packages, but we should
talk about this.

> The code has tests and has javadoc, but it needs real world testing
> and some real docs.  I'm going try hooking it into OpenEJB and
> running it's massive test suite with a couple of opensource DBs.
>
> Anyways, I hope you all like it and accept the patch.  I'm around to
> help with changes or whatever.  I also ran into a few bugs while
> working on this that are already reported in JIRA (like the close
> bugs) and am willing to help with those also.

That would be greatly appreciated.  We really need [dbcp] and [pool]
volunteers.  Given that you are an ASF committer, all you have to do
is ask to get commons karma and you are certainly welcome to do that
:)

In [dbcp] 1.3, we can fix the close semantics and other things that
involve semantic changes.  All suggestions and patches are welcome.

Phil