commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration][all] Support for OS environment variables
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 19:59:32 GMT
Wade Chandler wrote:
> Sure, but not from a configuration perspective. For
> instance, if daemon used configuration for a
> configuration file it could be easier to use. Provide
> multiple configuration files with your distribution
> which allows users to more easily install and
> uninstall services and operate on them without
> remembering command line switches etc. launcher could
> even use configuration (which is smaller than ANT) yet
> also allow ANT and not have as many runtime
> requirements. Then of course other applications can
> just use a single configuration entry point and use
> configuration information and reference environment
> variables without having to hard code them into their
> sources...makes it configurable.
>

> Wade
>
> --- Mark Fortner <phidias51@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Isn't this already handled by System.getenv?

System.getenv() has long been deprecated and is now available again
since 1.5. [configuration] still has 1.3 as minimum required JDK; I
don't know when we switch to 1.5 (there will probably be another version
that requires 1.4).

My problem with this issue is that it will probably take a high effort
to implement it correctly for earlier JDKs, while we get it for free in
1.5. This seem counter-productive.

Oliver