commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [RESULT] 3rd attempt: Release commons-io 1.3.2
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:08:37 GMT
Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann <at> gmail.com> writes:

> The problem is simply that votes for releases on commons drive me sick.
>
> It is not the exception, but the standard, that people demand changes
> (which they of course assume that the RM will do) and use a -1 to
> enforce their opinion.
>
> I have a different opinion in this matter. I see absolutely no problem
> with a compiler warning as long as I may drop in the binary to a
> running system: *That* is what I call binary compatible and what
> assume to be the contract for binary releases.

Amen.

Especially since the official versioning guidelines [1] consider deprecation as
a fully compatible change while a point release only requires interface
compatibility.

What's actually the reasoning to demand a minor release because of a deprecation?

Joerg

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases/versioning.html