commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jochen Wiedmann" <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [io][fileupload] svn commit: r518770 - in /jakarta/commons/proper/io/trunk/src: java/org/apache/commons/io/FileCleaningTracker.java test/org/apache/commons/io/FileUtilsCleanDirectoryTestCase.java
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 22:12:44 GMT
On 3/16/08, Rahul Akolkar wrote:

> On 3/15/07, jochen@... <jochen@...> wrote:
> > Author: jochen
> > Date: Thu Mar 15 15:02:46 2007
> > New Revision: 518770

> > Log:
> > Made the FileCleaningTracker serializable.
> > This is required by commons-fileupload, because the
> > DiskFileItem's may be part of the HTTP session while
> > still carrying a reference to the tracker.
> >
> <snip/>

> I think this particular solution is sub-optimal in a couple of aspects:

>  * The instances aren't really serializable so its a bit of a truth in
> advertising infringement
>  * Its introducing a tighter coupling between the next releases of
> [io] and [fileupload], which is fine if we can buy that there is
> evidence that the change would be helpful to [io] in isolation.

> I think identical behavior (for what this is worth) can be obtained by
> reverting this commit and having a transient lazily-initialized
> FileCleaningTracker in DiskFileItem, which addresses the two bullets
> above, and the NotSerializableExceptions that you may otherwise
> witness at container shutdown.

> WDYT?

I haven't really though about the fileupload part, but you have
convinced me that this must be addressed by fileupload and not by io.
I have therefore reverted my patch in the 1.3 branch. I will also
revert the same patch in the trunk after the 1.3.2 release is out when
I merge the release related changes in.

Jochen