commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Rahul Akolkar" <rahul.akol...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-sandbox-parent 1
Date Sun, 24 Jun 2007 05:00:51 GMT
> On 6/23/07, Wendy Smoak <wsmoak@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 6/23/07, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > This will be the first release and is important because it enables
> > > reproducible builds and site generation for the sandbox components.
> >
> > Since you have a policy against releasing sandbox components, why not
> > just deploy snapshots of the sandbox parent pom, and advance to the
> > next snapshot version (without a release) when there is a change?
> >

> I guess the issue there is that you then have to add the snapshot repo
> explicitly just to *build* a sandbox component or generate its web
> site.  We want to force people to do that if they *depend* on sandbox
> jars, but just building a sandbox component should not require it IMO.

<snip/>

And it doesn't require that to build either -- install the parent.

I suspect anyone who has used m2 even minimally is aware of the
bootstrapping problems with development builds and how to solve them.
For everyone else (and I'm sure we will get questions), the sandbox
components should have 'install parent pom' as step 0 of their
'building' pages.

-Rahul